CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Great Seal of the United States

Since Randy and I had to make a visa run to the Cambodian border this week, we had to postpone school classes with the children on Thursday. So, instead of doing our lesson on the Great Seal of the United States on Thursday, we did our class tonight after supper. I thought it would be interesting this time to let Lee tell you what he learned in our class. So, as he talks, I will type!


"Today I learned that E Pluribus Unam means "Out of many, one." You see this on the Great Seal. I also learned that there are 13 stripes, 13 stars, 13 arrows, and 13 leaves on the olive branch. That represents the 13 states there were in 1776. On July 4th, 1776, which was Independence Day, the Continental Congress decided we needed a Great Seal. It took six years to design the Great Seal and 14 men helped to design it. The eagle holds the olive branch and arrows in it's talons. The arrows stand for war and the olive branch stands for peace. The eagle looks toward the olive branch showing we have peace toward all countries. The back of the Great Seal has an unfinished pyramid. On the bottom of the pyramid, it has roman numerals that mean 1776. That was the year the United States became a country. Above the pyramid, is the Eye of Providence. I am glad my Mommy taught me all this because now I know more about my country. Did you know you can see both sides of the Great Seal on the back of the dollar bill? Did you know they use the Great Seal more than 2,000 times every year? Since my Mommy taught me this, one day I want to teach it to my kids. Then they will learn to love and respect their country more." Again, this is what Lee said in his own words. I was amazed at what he remembered! As I talked about the Great Seal and taught them what each thing represented, they each colored a sheet I fixed with both sides of the Great Seal.


Of course, Caleb had to get in the picture, too! :)

I want to thank the Lord for the opportunity and great privilege I have to teach my children at home. I am able to teach them things that they would or would not learn at school. I love the fact that they are so excited about learning about their country. Since we don't live in America, I think that makes them appreciate their country more and want to learn more about it. Next week, we are going to learn about the Liberty Bell. Maybe I will let another one of the children share with you what they learn!

1 comment:

  1. You have such smart kiddos! You make us so proud that you are relatives. :)

    ReplyDelete