As I sit in the comfort and safety of my home, I remain awestruck as to what I have just seen. We have now lived in Bangkok for four weeks and have pretty much settled into a schedule and routine. When I look out over the balcony of my front and back porch, it is hard to believe that we live in a city, much less a city of 11 million people. The view around us seems like we are out in a country so to speak because we really can't see any high-rise buildings that would indicate that we live in Bangkok. As I have said before, when I see the pictures and videos of what is happening, it is unfathomable to believe it is all happening 5 and 1/2 miles from us! Today, Randy and I met some friends for lunch at a motel close to the rally site but far enough away that we weren't in any danger. After lunch, they took us to their room on the 24th floor of the building. As I walked into the room, the view in front of me was breathtaking. My heart sped up at the sight. The city of Bangkok, or at least a part of it, lay before me as far as the eye could see. My eyes filled with tears and my heart broke. I was reminded of how many people actually live in this city and why God has brought us to this dark place in the world. I have lived protected from the city by trees and other buildings. I sat down in a chair and while everyone else talked, my mind and heart raced. So many people that have never heard the precious name of Jesus! Through the window in a distance to the right, I could see black smoke rising. Just a short mile away, people were being injured and killed in the streets. I came to the conclusion that every missionary here should either live high above the city or at least frequently visit a high-rise building to look out over the vastness of buildings that contain precious souls. To be reminded of why God has brought us here. To have their heart broken every time they look out over Bangkok. I realized that every muscle in my body was rigid and I was gripping my chair as if I were going to fall through it if I didn't hold on. These people are calling on sacred objects to protect them and asking for help from Buddha. They don't know about the One True God who can save them from so much more than gunfire. I thought of all the times that I have gotten on the skytrain to go somewhere and the reality grips my soul when I think that Randy and I may have been the only ones on that skytrain who knew Christ as their Saviour. It is a bone-chilling fact. A verse came to my mind on our way home as my mind reeled with what I had seen and how God had used it to once again break my heart. Isaiah 9:2 says, "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined." This city, this country is in a great darkness. They are living in the shadow of death. God is shining His light of love upon them through the missionaries He is calling and sending to this "Land of Smiles." Pray for us and pray for Thailand that this land will become of land of smiling faces that know Him as their Lord and Saviour. May it one day be said that these people have seen the Light.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amen! I know that feeling of being overwhelmed by that sight. If it were not for our big God we would have no hope of reaching Thai people either. I really appreciated this post. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete