CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 20, 2010


I found this picture this morning and although I have never seen the movie from which the top picture was taken, I was astonished at the similarities to the reality picture of Bangkok on Wednesday. May 19, 2010 will be a day that will forever be remembered in Thai history. A day when Thai people destroyed part of a Thai city and killed Thai people. As protesting had gone on for weeks, we knew something was about to happen when the Prime Minister gave the protesters an ultimatum. There was an eerie feeling that hung in the air. Randy and I watched news updates after we heard that soldiers and armored vehicles had begun to move toward the city of Bangkok. Our day started somewhat normal. My devotional entry for the day said, "I want you to know how safe and secure you are in My Presence." The Bible verse with it was Psalms 29:11 - "The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace." I have never felt any fear while living here, even with all the protesting going on. But what a wonderful blessing to be reminded THAT morning of God's protection over us. We knew we couldn't go to class because the public transportation had shut down so we decided to go to the Lotus (like a Walmart) to stock up on some groceries and eat lunch. This Lotus is located in a mall that is some distance away from the protesting. We did most of our shopping and then went to a restaurant on the 4th floor that overlooks Bangkok. Out the window, we could see a little black smoke in the air over the area where the protesters had been burning tires. We were almost done eating when we began to see plumes of black smoke going up, one by one, in the distance. We finished and decided to run in one last store before leaving. As we left that last store, vendors were hurriedly closing their shops and people were rapidly moving out of the mall. We got stuck in a massive crowd of people trying to get across the road on the pedestrian overpass. As we looked both directions, vehicles were bumper to bumper. I have to admit, it was unnerving but I felt no fear or panic. Just a peace that swept over me that I was safe in God's hands as my devotional words kept ringing in my head. When we made it to the other side, Randy said that we should just walk for a ways and then get a taxi. When we finally got in a taxi, the driver in a few words was able to let us know there was a curfew. Randy commented to me that a night curfew couldn't be causing this kind of chaos. When we made it home, the news revealed that the Red Shirt leaders had surrendered and everyone thought there was going to finally be a peaceful end to the protesting. However, the protesters began burning buildings and working their way to this side of the city. In all, 39 buildings were set on fire. As malls were some of the buildings being set on fire, every mall decided to close, hence the mass of people were stuck in trying to get out of the mall. An announcement was made over the loudspeaker in the last store we were in, but since they do that often, we didn't think anything about it and since we don't understand the Thai language, we don't know what was actually said. After looking at the news and pictures this morning, it is hard to believe what this city went through on that day. Many people are comparing it to the World Trade Center experience in the U.S. However, the major difference is that the WTC experience brought people together. This series of events in Thailand seems to have brought more division among the people. Like as Paul waiting in Athens, my spirit has been stirred as I have seen Bangkok (and all of Thailand) "wholly given to idolatry." These people were praying for the sacred objects to protect them! I have the promise of safety from my Lord. In the safety of our home, I silently prayed that this madness would end as we watched events unfold before us on the television. Firefighters couldn't get into some of the areas to put fires out because the protesters would shoot at them or do things to keep them away. Central World Mall, the 2nd largest in Southeast Asia from what I have heard, burned for at least 9 hours before firefighters were able to get in and try to control the blaze. At 10 p.m., Prime Minister Abhisit went on TV to ask for cooperation from the people and promised heavy punishment to those involved. As Thursday morning dawned, it seemed everything was finally over. There was a calm stillness. Still, several more fires were set. It was unbelievable to watch people cheering and clapping as the Central World Mall collapsed! Other reports told of protesters booing and jeering firefighters as they brought other blazes under control. A lot of what I have seen makes no sense. But then I have to remember, this is a Godless people. My prayer is that eyes will be opened and that Thai people will embrace a loving, forgiving, peaceful, compassionate God. My desire is for Thai souls to accept Him. Please pray for the Thai people and the country of Thailand. As my devotional book read this morning, "I, the Creator of the Universe, am with you and for you. What more could you need?" Pray that we will let God be our All in All as we seek to serve Him in this country so desperately in need of Him.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Gwen! I really do hope that this means the worst is over. We love you and are still praying for your safety!

    ReplyDelete